A extremely rare Mid-Century Karuselli Lounge Chair by Yrjö Kukkapuro for Haimi. The design dates to 1964 in Finland. This specific chair was purchased at Harrod's department store in London, 1971. The Karuselli chair is renown as being named the "most comfortable chair in the world" by the New York Times. This is due to the high degree of specificity that Kukkapuro put in achieving ultimate comfort through a union of function and ergonomics. While removing all that was not essential. "Shaped to echo the human body, the inspiration for the Karuselli reportedly came about when the designer was playing outside making snow chairs with his daughter. In search of the perfect dimensions, Kukkapuro spent several years sculpting the chair, arriving at the iconic form in 1964. An immediate international success, the chair prompted Gio Ponti to choose Karuselli for the cover of Domus in 1966 and inspired Sir Terence Conran to proclaim it his favourite chair." - From the Artek website.
Featuring incredible lines and build quality only found in true Scandinavian Modern furniture. The black fibreglass shell and base are not only eye catching but lightweight and incredibly strong. Providing the perfect balance between strength and light weight. The thick whole grain black leather is not only supple and comfortable, but in our view has the perfect level of highly desirable patina. The chair swivels 360 degrees and sits freely in the chrome plated steel cradle. The cradle also allows the chair to also tilt slightly. This is a spectacular armchair that will last for many, many years beyond the 50 it has already been around. Strong, sturdy, yet incredibly comfortable. A stunning and rare authentic Mid-Century armchair by a great of Scandinavian design. Stamped.
Additional of note:
Also available, matching Karuselli lounge chair in white fibreglass frame.
- With questions or to obtain a quote to customize
- If it is sold, and you just wish to be notified if we find another like it.
- If you require additional specific photos.
- Overall in very good condition with some patina to the leather. The fibreglass shell is in excellent condition.
- The original black leather has been professionally restored but has some minor areas of patina, commensurate with the age of the leather. To us this is a positive. No scratches or damage.
- The chrome has been cleaned and polished.
- 100% secure payments via Shopify.
- Delivery across Canada.
- 7-day returns on full price, non-custom items
At Vintage Home Boutique we understand that sometimes it's tough to visualize an item in your home. So we stand behind our items and offer returns within 7 days of purchase, with proof of purchase, on all full priced vintage furniture. Beyond 7 days from purchase, items will not be accepted for refunds under any conditions.
Discounted and sale items, accessories, furniture care and customized items are final sale and not refundable under any conditions.
- The items must be in the condition they left the shop and we will verify condition with the pictures we have.
- All refunds will be charged a 2.4% fee. This fee is the interchange credit card fee we are charged by the credit card company and is not returned to us upon the refund.
- Vintage Home Boutique always reserves the right to decline a refund or charge a greater percentage of the total paid as an administrative fee.
We are often asked, do you deliver? The answer is YES! Delivery and shipping is available across Canada. We ship accessories across the country using Canada Post. For accessories, the cost will vary based on where you live and the weight of the shipment.
We have different furniture delivery options, depending on where you live. Please note you must be able to assist to bring the item into your home, if you live outside of the GTA.
|Toronto||$140||Daily - 7 days a week|
|GTA||$250||Daily - 7 days a week|
|Ottawa & Area||
$400- client must assist
|Second Saturday of every month*|
|Kingston & Area||$350- client must assist||Second Saturday of every month*|
|London & Area||$350- client must assist||Third Saturday of every month*|
|Windsor & Area||$400- client must assist||Third Saturday of every month*|
- The GTA is defined the area outside of the city of Toronto, west to Hamilton. East to Oshawa. North to Barrie.
- Full service delivery is:
- 2 movers
- Your items are blanket wrapped and secured in transport
- Your items are unwrapped and brought into the room of choice in the position of your choice.
- There are additional fees for:
- Each additional item on the same delivery ($20/ item). A set of dining chairs are considered 1 item
- Assembly ($60/ hr)
- Walk ups beyond the second floor or buildings without elevators - Yes there are still some left!
- We group multiple deliveries for the Ottawa/ Kingston & London/ Windsor markets. As such we reserve the right to reschedule shipments so as to keep the rates low. Direct delivery of your item is also possible
All other cities in Canada:
Shipping is exclusively handled through a delivery service that runs across the country every 2 months. You must be able to assist to bring the items into your home.
Contact Us and we can give you a specialized quote for what you desire.
- All deliveries must be scheduled within 7 days of purchase unless previously arranged. For items held longer than 7 days without previous agreement, there is a non-refundable, $150/ week or partial week fee.
- For all deliveries we only connect you with the service provider. The delivery service schedules and is responsible for care and condition of the product once it leaves the store.
- For shipments outside of Canada: Contact Us and we will connect you with our crate packer and shipping service.
- Clients are responsible to ensure all items and pieces are removed from the truck
- Do not sign for the delivery as acceptable if there is an issue with the item or the crate.
- Even if the item is crate shipped you are required to be home to accept the delivery. Wooden crates do not protect valuables from rain!
- Note ANY issues on the service providers form. Do not sign that the delivery was acceptable.
- Claims are to be directed to the delivery service within 24 hours of the item arriving in your home. Failure to do so will likely result in your claim being denied by the service.
- Vintage Home Boutique Ltd. cannot support your delivery claim in any way. We are happy to follow up and speak with the providers on your behalf, however they are 3rd party companies with their own operating polices.
ACCESSORIES: All accessories (excluding mirrors) are shipped using Canpar and are insured for actual retail value.
FURNITURE CARE: All furniture care is shipped via Canada Post. These items are insured for retail value up to $100.
We know these are heirloom pieces and as such have partnered with reliable and trustworthy organizations that offer reasonable rates. All of our delivery and shipping services are fully insured and bonded.