What motivated us to open a furniture store? There were a number of factors but it all really started with a couch; specifically, the couch we wanted but couldn’t find.
We were looking for something stylish, comfortable, environmentally-friendly, and locally made. It also had to be high-quality and built to last, which meant no big-box or assemble-it-yourself options.
We checked a wide range of retailers. The smaller stores we visited did not offer quality service or furnishings that matched our criteria. High-end shops had some beautiful furniture but were charging more than what it was worth. After a lot of searching we ended up settling for something less than what we wanted.
We were disappointed but also inspired. Surely other people had found themselves in a situation similar to ours: willing to pay for quality furniture but not willing to overpay.
Seeing a gap in the marketplace, we decided that we could fill it.
Vintage furniture was one answer, and one we had started to explore as we collected vintage pieces and refinished those in need of a little TLC. But we knew we could offer more.
We began researching local manufacturers who could complement our vintage and mid-century modern pieces. We found Brentwood Classics, who create couches like the Grant, Leonard and Midge, pictured here, that match all of our original criteria. We connected with a local carpenter who creates stunning live edge tables. We also started talking with local artists and craftspeople about showcasing their work in our store. The combined effect will be completely unique among furniture retailers: our store will evoke the elegance of a salvaged estate while also adding a touch of the whimsical with one-of-a-kind accessories and original art.
Unfortunately at the time we settled for less. Now you don’t have to. Our store offers the perfect balance of high quality and good value, unique pieces versatile enough to fit any décor, and exceptional service.
What You Will Find At Vintage Home Boutique
- Vignettes that show how to mix pieces from different eras. We’ll surprise and inspire you with the combinations we choose for our in-store displays.
- Custom, locally-made sofas and chairs.
- Vintage teak furniture, mid-century modern pieces, and live edge tables.
- Answers to your questions. If you see a piece you love but don’t think it will work in your space, talk to us. We can make suggestions and help you find exactly what you need. If we don’t have it, we can find it for you with our custom finding service.
- A full eco-friendly refinishing shop. Whether a piece is in rough shape or just in need of a little updating, Maureen can help. We have a complete shop in the basement where she works her magic. We use only zero-VOC stains, paints, varnishes and strippers.
- A gallery of local art. Many artists call our neighbourhood home. We want to help them promote their work by offering free display space. If you are interested in exhibiting your work in our store, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Exclusive, customizable, streetcar prints.
- Hand blown glass sculptures by world renown Tsunami Glassworks.
To keep current with the happenings at Vintage Home Boutique, subscribe to our newsletter or follow us on social media. We look forward to seeing you in-store later this month!